Your skin naturally produces an oil called sebum. If there is too much sebum present, problems with acne may arise. However, if there is not enough sebum production, itchy, dry skin may result. Dry skin, particularly in winter may cause symptoms of flakiness, bumps, cracks, and inflammation. Untreated dry skin may start to appear dull or rough. Thankfully, there are several inexpensive and natural ways to treat or reverse dry skin:
1. Olive oil
You can eat olive oil to fight dry skin from within or it can be applied like a lotion. Olive oil contains beneficial nutrients and antioxidants. It will attract moisture to the skin. Many people like using it because of its anti-aging advantages.
2. Avocado mask
Avocados can also be consumed to help fight dry skin. An avocado mask for your face is simple to make with ingredients that you may have in your kitchen:
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp plain organic yogurt
- Make a paste to pat onto your face.
- Apply 10-15 minutes
This mask will moisturize skin, reduce inflammation, and heal acne. It will give your skin a healthy glow. avocado is high in healthy and nourishing fats.
3. Exfoliating sugar scrubs
This face mask helps to thoroughly clean and moisturize your skin. Prepare with:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
Brown sugar is more coarse and raw sugar is the most coarse. Any of them are usable as effective exfoliants. This scrub can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2-months.
4. Oatmeal bath soak
Put raw whole oats into a food processor and process it until it has a powdery texture. Using lukewarm water pour the oatmeal powder into the tub where the water is running. Stay in your oatmeal bath soak for no longer than 10-15 minutes or you could dry your skin out.
5. Oatmeal and honey
Honey is a natural antifungal foodsource, it’s also soothing and calming to the skin. An oatmeal and honey face mask is a natural way to moisturize your skin. Add one teaspoon of honey into oats and 1 teaspoon of hot tap water. Pat the mask over your face and leave for 10-minutes. The honey will help to tighten your skin and give it a more youthful appearance.
6. Coconut oil before bedtime
Coconut oil is put into many different brands of skin moisturizing products for the following reasons:
- Coconut oil causes your sleep to feel more recuperative.
- It enhances general skin health and causes it to look younger and softer.
- Coconut oil protects heart health and benefits the immune system.
- It helps treat insomnia by preventing blood sugar spikes and by helping the body produce sleep hormones.
- Coconut oil may help with weight loss by creating a feeling of being full. It also boosts metabolism.
- Coconut oil is good for your muscles. It helps retain muscle mass. This becomes more important as we age.
- Coconut oil can raise the good HDL cholesterol in your blood and aid in preventing heart disease.