The best cat food should combine low carbohydrates, moderate protein, and low fat. Most cat parents take the effort to make home-cooked meals. At the same time, those who are unable to cook every meal with the correct combination or those traveling with their cat need to resort to readymade cat food, and the best option is to buy it off the shelf. However, the decision is not as easy to make as it sounds. The choices available are vast and varied, and you need to consider the following diet tips for cats with diabetes mellitus before deciding on the best product for your cat:
- Wet food is recommended for feline diabetes as it contains fewer grains and starch and more protein. Due to increased moisture, it also prevents your cat from getting dehydrated. On the other hand, dry food is recommended if you feed them through an automatic feeder or if you have more than one cat.
- Protein content should be at least 10% in wet food and about 40% in dry food
- Carbs should be less than 5% or 10%
- There is no prescribed calorie level, but most diabetic cat food will be low on calories
- An important diet tip for cats with diabetes mellitus is that their food should be low in fats
- It should be value for money
- The availability of variations in flavors and combinations is important as some cats are picky
Some of the best cat food brands
- Wellness CORE® Signature Selects®
Among the top-rated products for diabetic feline, this brand is grain-free and packed with protein. However, if your cat has food sensitivities, you need to steer clear of the options with fish. Instead of opting for food with real tuna and salmon, a helpful diet tip for cat parents of cats with diabetes mellitus is to choose chicken, beef, or shredded chicken. This brand offers food in easy-to-open cans and packs. There could also be bones and scales in the food, so you have to ensure that they are not very big and do not hurt your cat.
- ZIWI Peak Wet Cat Food
Imported from New Zealand, it is made from high-quality protein and has various options for your cat to feed on, like poultry, meat, or fish. You have two options to choose in terms of sizes, which are packs of 85g and 185 g. All choices are free of grains, harmful additives, added sugar, and preservatives.
- Nature’s Variety® Instinct® Original Cat Food – Natural, Grain Free, Chicken
This has high protein and is made with bits of chicken, turkey, tapioca, Menhaden fish meal, dried tomato pomace, and more. It is available in 5 and 11 lb. bags and the feeding amounts vary according to age, activity levels, and the weight of your cat. A kitten, for example, needs to be fed twice the amount of food as mentioned in the adult maintenance.
This is a unique brand that offers customized food based on your input on your cats’ health condition and preferences. They prepare meals according to the portion sizes ideal for your cat. They also have two wet food recipes just for diabetic cats, and all their recipes are protein-rich and have high water content.